After Mother’s Day was a creative flop this year and I failed to come up with any amazingly adorable projects for two very special grandmothers, I am on a mission to fix that this Father’s Day. Last year, Little Bug made this sweet footprint heart card that is now framed on Mr. Mountaineer’s desk. Every time I glance at it I can only think about how little she was just a year ago.
Although this year I might include both kids footprints on a card for the grandparents, I wanted to get Mr. Mountaineer something more tangible. His favorite thing to drink is coffee during the week, but he doesn’t always have the allowance budgeted for a daily gourmet cup. I decided that one part of his gift would be a gift card to his favorite coffee shop.
Gift cards are difficult gifts to wrap. Although you can tape them inside a card, it doesn’t seem to do the gift justice. You could wrap them in a small jewelry box, but then you need to find wrapping paper, tissue paper and ribbon. I recently discovered that paper pillow boxes make the perfect gift card holder. Their unique design and plain exterior make them a great box to embellish for any occasion. For Father’s Day, we’ve created a Father’s Day gift card box in the shape of a neck tie. What a sweet way to honor dad on his special day.
You Will Need:
Large White Paper Pillow Box
Father themed scrapbook paper – we found a blue pinstripe
Coordinating solid color cardstock
1.5 inch round circle punch (optional)
3 small buttons
Blank Manila Gift Tag or other Father’s Day Gift Tag
Elmer’s or Craft Glue
1. Download the Neck Tie Template and print on cardstock (this makes it easier to trace). Cut out the neck tie. Place on the back side of the scrapbook paper and trace around it. Cut out your neck tie.
2. Punch or cut out a 1.5″ circle from the solid color cardstock.
3. Construct the large white pillow box. Lay the pillow box vertically and glue the neck tie to the top. Add the punched circle on top.
4. Glue the three buttons underneath the necktie.
5. If using a blank gift tag, embellish with stamps, ribbon, washi tape or other fun accessory. Attach your Father’s Day gift tag using baker’s twine by tying it around one of the buttons.
6. Fill your gift box with tissue paper or decorative shred. Add your special gift card or certificate. Your present is all ready to give to dad on Father’s Day!
What a sweet way to say thank you to such a special man. These boxes would also be great to fill with some of dad’s favorite things such as golf tees, barbeque seasoning or other small trinkets.
Linking to: Bloom Designs Online